Monday, January 28, 2008

The World's Greatest Party

Rio Carnaval

Trini Carnival Queen for Evolution 2008

Samba Queen, Amanda Barbosa

As some of you may know, the Carnaval is approaching on February 2nd this year and the celebration has already begun.

Carnaval is a collage of Christian traditions, the masquerade and African elements highlighted with music and dance. Carnaval is an absolutely beautiful,colorful, and flamboyant celebration of national focus and pride. Favelas and cities prepare throughout the year and reach fever pitch just before Carnaval begins.

I've gone to Brazil's street parades in Copacabana and Ipanema and I've actually performed with samba school Imperatriz at the Samba Dromo. So, I'm partial to Brazil and consider their Carnaval the best party in the world.

So, over the next 1 1/2 wks in honor of Carnaval season I'll be profiling Afro-Brazilians, Samba dromo, West Indians, Trinidad and all things Carnaval.

1 comment:

gingerbaby350 said...

I love the costumes. This is somewhere that I would like to go.

Google